Graphic Recipe translation

My favorite project fall quarter was the recipe project. We had to pick one of three recipes to depict visually (no numbers, letters, or words) with vectors made in Illustrator. We had to show temperature and time and all the steps. Like the last project, this was not supposed to be an illustration, but a graphic translation of a recipe. We could only use black, white and grey. I chose Chicken Pot Pie. At first I was really overwhelmed. I couldn’t figure out whether to start with the look of the items or the layout first. I told myself I just need to start and began sketching.

pieSketches

And then I started trying to really nail down the layout, which ended up with me cutting out pieces of my sketches and arranging them in photoshop. That way I didn’t have to redraw the items when I changed the idea for the layout. I wanted to have a section with the ingredients and then a separate section with the recipe steps, but there were some ingredients that had steps before they became ingredients, so this layout was definitely challenging.

pieProcess

Which eventually lead to vector creation in Illustrator, but I was still not quite happy with where I was going. Here are some scrapped layouts/colors.

pieAlternateLayouts

And then I had the eureka moment–what about a black background?? And then came the final:

EF_PotPieRecipe_FINAL

Graphic translation project

For our production class, the second project was to create a graphic translation of an animal with the pen tool in Illustrator. I, of course, chose my favorite animal–the weiner dog! We had to find the highlights and shadows in an image and see what shapes were really necessary in portraying the essence of an animal. It wasn’t supposed to be an illustration (too detailed) or an icon (too simplified).

Here are some of my beginning sketches:

dog_sketch1

dog_sketch2

dog_sketch3

And the finished project:

dog

“Look and Feel” project

EFord_PhotoApp2

Today we had to turn in a mockup of an iPad app for photo sharing. Tim gave us a wireframe to work with and told us to make something that looked like it could actually be on an iPad. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed working on this project. While it took upwards of 5 hours, I was totally immersed in the project the entire time.

I think I like it here…I might stay awhile. 🙂

Some sweeeeet banner ads!

StrangerMockup

We had to make banner ads in New Media today, and were given the choice of 3 companies: Starbucks, Gatorade, and Redhook. For some reason, lattes were on my mind. And apparently the holiday season.